Saturday, April 3, 2010

Desiderata


My girls and I were going through some old stuff today when they found an old card dated way back 1985 . It was a card given to me for my birthday by my homeroom adviser.  He was a Jesuit priest.  On the cover of it was written the poem, Desiderata.  
I went to a famous Jesuit school in high school and I grew up in the Catholic teachings.  I grew up learning Desiderata and after reading it again today, I realized that everything is more applicable in my present life.


So my kids and I went through each line, discussed it and compared our favorite lines. Desiderata has been a huge part of me while growing up --- and I felt that it would be nice to teach them whatever has been a big part of what I am today. 


Desiderata has touched my life in a big way.  I hope that after today, my girls' life has been touched the same.  I hope that in 25 years, when they will be going through some old stuff -- a copy of Desiderata would be found to remind them of this day.

Allow me to share my favorite lines  :
.....remember what peace there may be in silence

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, 
even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become bitter or vain,
for always there will be greater or lesser persons than yourself.

be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be 

keep  peace with your soul
it is still a beautiful world

Be cheerful.  Strive to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment