Thursday, August 12, 2010

Walk the Extra Mile...


We have been hearing this phrase every now and then but do we really know what it means?  Let me explain this in a way how I understand it.

My life has been through a lot of challenges, ups and downs, and dramas you can ever think of.  Was I sorry about them? I do sometimes but mostly, I’ve learned a lot on what life had offered me.  I believe it made me realize and understand other people more.  It made me stronger.  It made me a better person.  And more importantly, I learned to walk the extra mile. 

What exactly is “walking the extra mile”?

At work, walking an extra mile means simple things such as displaying a cheerful and positive attitude even when you are feeling down.  That is not easy.  It is putting extra work without expecting an extra pay.  In other words, walking an extra mile is working beyond what is expected of you.

In relationships, walking an extra mile happens almost all the time.  In times of arguments or misunderstandings, one has to try to understand the other even if it means understanding what is impossible.  Or maybe one has to give up something important to make the other happy.  Walking an extra mile means sacrificing something to make the other happy.

For friends, walking an extra mile is almost equivalent to being BFF’s (best friends for life).  Walking an extra mile is simply being there whatever happens.  Lying and standing up for your friend regardless he or she is doing the right thing.  Walking an extra mile for friends is camaraderie all the way.  It’s the same as “I’m with you all the way”. 

I have walked my extra miles in all different kinds of relationships.  I worked, I was in relationships, I’ve got great friends --- I will walk an extra mile for anyone I love and for anyone important to me. 

Walking an extra mile I would say would bring wonders to you and your life.  It brought me good jobs that I will always be grateful of.  It gave me two wonderful girls who are considerate and sensitive of my needs and other people's.  It gave me friends who are always ready to be there with me at all times.  All these years, I’ve walked an extra mile….and I know my family, my kids, my friends are willing to walk an extra mile for me.

What are you waiting for? Walk that extra mile…….it’s all worth it. 



1 comment:

  1. I like this post. I have been through many challenges myself and feel like I've become a better person because of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete